List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Psi Jabber client for KDE?
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-15 21:25:54

On Monday 15 April 2002 22:53, Justin wrote:
> What I am suggesting is that Psi actually be distributed with KDE.  Was
> there plans for Kopete to be included in KDE?  I'm sorry if I seem like I'm
> barging right in here.  Before I posted, I made sure to check KDE CVS for
> traces of other IM clients.  Unless I don't know where to look, I didn't
> see any (well, besides Kit).

Kopete was imported in kdenonbeta about two weeks ago and has seen some _VERY_
active development since (345 mails to kde-cvs). It's not there though, but
rapidly maturing. It was btw imported with the aim of kde inclusion in either
3.1 or ultimately 3.2.

> Don't forget that Psi is Jabber-native, which I think makes it a better
> candidate for inclusion into KDE.  I'm not saying that Kopete and Kit are
> bad.  They are probably wonderful programs.  All I am saying is that if KDE
> is going to include any kind of IM client at all, it should be a Jabber
> client.

The Kopete Jabber plugin was imported last weekend, but is not very useful
yet. It's in the works though and of course also a native Jabber plugin.

I deliberately didn't comment on the actual question of inclusion, being a
Kopete coder myself. That would be a very biased reply :-)

Martijn