List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE in the Kernel
From:       Dave Leimbach <leimbacd () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2002-04-14 8:23:40

> 2.)KDE already has tremendous hardware requirements, which disqualify it in
> the Central and Easter Europe, because peoples earnings are not high enough
> for them to buy modern comuper (processor >800 mhz, >128 MB), windows is
> very fast on that machines, but KDE is not. Trying to waste memory by
> putting konqueror or any kde app there is not a very good idea.

I don't think its fair to say that KDE requires a CPU > 800 Mhz.  I really
believe the perceived slowness of KDE has more to do with slightly primitive
linkers/compilers in a world of software patents which do no allow you to do
any sort of reimplementation of a similar/same idea without lawsuits.

If you want to look at architectures which are really light kernels then you
can try to write your own exo-kernel system in which case the "kernel" is
really nothing more than a glorified library.  Whether something like tthis
can provide a speed bonus or not is beyond my current realm of technical
knowledge. [Greg Ganger is a source to look at for that I believe at Carnegie
Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA.  He has papers on the web.]

Aside from bleeding edge kernels we have supposedly people working on the
startup slowness problem by doing a "pre-linker" in gcc last time I checked.
The KDE has already tried the objprelink tool with some degree of success and
other problems.

Basically the KDE community is doing the right things to try to figure out how
to make apps startup faster in a portable fashion.