List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Installer...
From:       Chris Howells <chris () chrishowells ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-04-13 7:34:05

On Saturday 13 April 2002 1:35 am, Roberto Teixeira wrote:

> it's a great coincidence that you sent this message now. I have been
> planing a installer last night and early this morning before seeing your
> message :-)

I have also been doing some work during the last few days resurrecting Kalypso
(in kdenonbeta/kalypso).

> installed, one for RPM and one for DEP. That's sad but inevitable, unless
> we actually have a little installed stup that actually detects what
> installed the user needs and downloads the real installed and goes from
> there. Hey, that's an idea... :-)

I was planning on a little shell script that detected stuff like that, used
wget or whatever to download kalypso, and started the install.

> Also, I know Apt's API and I've played with it already.

You also gave me a little explanation on IRC :)

Personally I don't really understand how just using apt is going to help. How
are we going to know where we can download the dependencies from?

> (2) Not using Apt at all
> -----------------------
>
> This is slightly more complicated for packagers, I think. They would have
> to create two files with their KDE distribution containing lists of what
> the packages provide and what they require.

Yes.

> Our installer would download those files and compare what we require with
> what the user's system provides and what our packages provided so that we
> know we have everything the user needs. If we don't, all we can do is
> warning the user that he's got some dependencies to meet. All this can be
> done using rpm itself. I don't know anything about dpkg.

Yes, I think this is the only way that it could be done really.

> Personally I like (1) because I know it works and I already did something
> similar. Number (2) seems to be a little bit more complicated and hacking.

I'd like to try 1 then 2 if 1 doesn't work.

> The installer might be done in Qt? It would have to be statically linked so

Yes. Kalypso is written completely in Qt. I was planning to link statically.

> it might be a little too big, but not so much if you consider how big the
> whole KDE distribution is.

Kalypso isn't very big. No where near as bloated as Red Carpet (10 meg?)
anyway ;)

> Comments?

Well, I'm getting started on Kalypso again. I wouldn't mind some help on that
:) The first thing I'm doing is porting to Qt designer UI files.

- --
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP key: http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt
KDE: http://www.koffice.org, http://edu.kde.org, http://usability.kde.org