List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KfontInst GUI
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-12 16:33:19

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:08:32 -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:

>I would like to suggest that the settings tab is eliminated and that the
>categories offered in the settings tab are turned into tabs themselves.

Yes.

>This
>would result in 7 tabs, which might be a bit too much, so some of the tabs
>would have to be eliminated completely:
>
>The appearance tab should be eliminated. The mode and font list options can
>IMO be removed.

As far as I remember both the mode and the font list options were
introduced on explicit request of Torsten and a few others. They
thought that the original layout (which is now the "Advanced Mode") was
too complicated for most users.

Personally, I think the "Basic Mode" is less clear than the "Advanced
Mode". So if only one should survive, I'd vote for the "Advanced Mode".
If both are kept, then we shouldn't bury the switch between "Basic" and
"Advanced Mode" in a separate tab. There should probably be a button in
the "Fonts" Tab for this.

>The setting for "Custom preview string" can be removed by
>making the preview area in the "Fonts" tab editable.
>
>Folders&Files and Install/Uninstall can be combined.

Sounds good to me.

>The StarOffice tab says it is not needed for OpenOffice or SatrOffice >= 6,
>does it still make sense to keep this tab at all then?

There are still a lot of 5.2 users around. The new versions are not
even officially released. Therefore, the option should probably be kept
for a while.

>A slightly different approach might be to extend the "Advanced..." button as
>can be found on the anti-alias tab.
>
>E.g. there could be 3 tabs:
>Fonts, Paths and Advanced
>
>*) Fonts would remain as is.
>*) Paths would be Folders & Files combined with Install/Uninstall
>*) Advanced would contain buttons for "X server settings" (Currently
>Settings->System) and "Anti-Alias settings" (The XftConfig dialog, extended
>with the settings from the current Anti-Alias tab)

Looks like such an "Advanced" tab would just provide the same level of
nesting then as the "Settings" tab does now. Only that we would have
buttons instead of the icons which IMO would be just a bit uglier, not
clearer.

For many or most users it is probably confusing anyway to have 2
separate font modules in different areas (like Appearance and System)
and to have settings for Anti-Aliasing in both. I wonder if we
shouldn't either combine everything in one big font module (maybe
together with KDEPrint) or at least move the Anti-Aliasing stuff over
to the Appearance -> Fonts module.

Regards,

Thomas

---