List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Design flaw in KDE3
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-10 13:29:19

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 02:05, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Tuesday April 09, 2002 04:59, Roland Seuhs wrote:
> > I think that a faulty app should never-ever, under no circumstances
> > hinder KDE from shutting down or starting up correctly.
>
> I would disagree about shutdown issues.  A user who forgets he had unsaved
> work may want to cancel the logout, so the apps need a way of canceling
> the logout.

But OTOH, if the app gets stuck, you have to kill the complete session, wich
is just what the OP describes. Other apps that might have been asked to
shutdown and save their unsaved data after the stuck one won't get a chance
to save their data in this case. And it's also not very user friendly to rely
on a special shortcut that not every X server provides and not every user
knows.