List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Help : My Complex Layout is confusing me!
From:       Jason Wood <jasonwood () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-04-09 17:42:34

Hi,

I'm creating a fairly complicated layout of widgets, and I'm having trouble
getting the exact effect I want.

(I'm developing for KDE 2 until debian unstable catches up, but I don't think
I'm doing anything that will need a major shakeup)

Here's a screen shot of what I've got, which is close to what I'm trying to
achieve, and is easier to understand than me trying to explain it.

www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/screenshot.png

Ignore the bit crossed out in blue, that's fine.

The sections marked 1,2 and 3 in red are all contained within a QVBox.

Section 1 is a HBox consisting of a Label of fixed length and and ruler
widget that I have created.

Section 2 is a QScrollView containing a QGrid, which is set out with 2
columns, the big widget panels on the left, and a second QFrame on the right.
One of these is marked 4.

Section 3 is another QHBox containing a label and a seperate scroll bar.

The scrollbar has to be seperate because it only applys to the widgets in the
righthand grid (like the widhet marked 4). There will be potentially more
sets of widgets added to the QGrid, but they should all be of the same width
in both columns.

In case anyone is puzzled as to what I'm trying to do, the bottom scrollbar
is supposed to scroll the ruler backwards and forwards, and also scroll what
the widgets in the right column are looking at. The vertical scroll bar is
supposed to scroll both columns, but not the ruler. The big framed widgets
should remain fixed to the left of the screen and not move horizontally.

What I want is for the widget's in the second row to be the width of the
screen - I want, for example, widget 4 to be the size of the dotted section
marked 5.

Unfortunately, I think the nesting of a QGrid inside of a QScrollBar has
effectively disabled the automatic resizing of the widgets, and I'm at a loss
as to how to fix it properly.

Could anyone give me any pointers as to the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Wood