List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Folder mimetype thing
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-04-05 17:11:23

On Friday 05 April 2002 11:38, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> David:
> > Looks good to me, except that I see an unrelated change,
> > the disabling of fixed sizes for image previews in
> > konq_iconviewwidget.cc
>
> Arrrgh! I did this on my own build because I prefer it that way - I really
> really really promise not to commit it. Really.

Ok, no problem ;-)

> Although it might be nice to make this optional at some point - I think
> previews should be the same size as other icons, that way you don't get
> jumping when they've finished.

Makes sense - but it's hard to conciliate the sizes, when the artist asked for
specific icon sizes, and the image-thumbnail standard specifies another set of
icon sizes......

> I am now intending to go with Marten's "Folder icons
> reflect contents". Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Sounds good.

> > I also hope that all this dir-listing doesn't slow things
> > down too much (good that it's optionnal ;)
>
> Well, I wouldn't recommend it for FTP over a modem, but it's OK.

Sounds like yet another feature that must be protocol-configurable.
(previews are, now, see "Previews" tab in "kcmshell kcmkonq").
Hmm, maybe simply using the same config for the directory overlays
would be good enough. If the protocol is usually slow (far FTP sites),
the users will disable both previews and dir-overlays, whereas for
e.g. close SMB sites, they'll keep both activated.

> By the way (David, since you seem to spend 95% of your time helping newbies
> and the other 95% coding)
;-))

> how can I get the view to refresh? I can't see
> any slots in KonqKfmIconView or KonqDirPart to do this.
What kind of refresh?
* To just repaint (incl. the background), use updateContents() (see e.g. iconview/konq_iconview.cc:775)
* To recalculate all icons, e.g. after a new size chosen, KonqIconViewWidget::setIcons
* To _reload_ the dir contents, openURL() with reload=true in the extension's URLArgs
* anything else ?
If it's just about what happens after changing an item's icon, this should be automatic,
setPixmap triggers a repaint IIRC, if not use QIconViewItem::repaint().
Try to minimize the repainting - don't repaint the whole view if this is only about
some icons in it...

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/