List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE rc3 dyn link gribe
From:       Daren Scot Wilson <darenw () pipeline ! com>
Date:       2002-03-30 22:02:47

Showstopper bug:

When I try to run kdeinit,  I get an undefined symbol,
__gxx_personality_v0.   The startup splash window shows attempt to set
up interprocess communication, hangs there.

BACKGROUND & SYSTEM DETAIL

I have installed the pre-compiled (slackware) tarballs for KDE rc3,
including the arts0.9.9 and qt snapshot20020319  all from the same site.

Running, on a Sony Vaio notebook with Athlon CPU,  Linux 2.4.18 with XFS
filesystem patch, gcc 3.0.4, glibc 2.2.5, and all the commands from
binutils, fileutils, etc. are the very latest official releases.  XFree
is latest stable release 4.2.0.
These were all installed on top of what was originally a slackware 7.0
system.  The only thing original any more is LILO and init.

I had qt 3.0.3 compiled from source from a couple days ago.  I have
replaced this with the 20020319 snapshot,also compiled from source, but
due to getting linking errors (undef. sym __ti12QApplication, and
others)  I downloaded the precompiled 20020319 and
that problem went away.

The last few days I have compiled KDE beta2, successfully with some
minor hacks, and it runs fine except for Konqueror crashes when it loads
any HTML files, or if launched by clicking the home icon.   Also, I
compiled the Release Candidate 3, hoping Konq. would work, but did not
compile successfully (trouble with missing KMCOPInfo in arts).  Hacked
some code to get around that, ran into more compile problems.  Decided
to give up, install binaries.   These source trees and their compiled
results are installed in non-active places, not in the way of any paths
etc.    "which" reports all kde bins running from /opt/kde3/bin as
should be.  I convinced there is no interference from these and I'm
running entirely on the precompiled binary libraries, apps etc.

--
Daren Scot Wilson
darenw@pipeline.com