List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Support for Berkeley DB
From:       Eray Ozkural <erayo () cs ! bilkent ! edu ! tr>
Date:       2002-03-30 15:53:11

Hi Harald,

On Saturday 30 March 2002 15:34, Harald Fernengel wrote:

> is it possible to wrap it into the Qt SQL module somehow? There are already
> some in-process database modules available which operate without a SQL
> Server. Having two different APIs for database servers and local tables
> will complicate things for app developers...

Well, technically Berkeley DB has nothing to do with SQL!

You can implement an SQL query language/interpreter which would unfortunately
defy the purpose of using Berkeley DB. As a matter of fact some SQL systems
*are* implemented using Berkeley DB...

If you look at the design docs and example code, you will see how it is
possible to make an interface to Berkeley DB that does not restrict the user
in any way.... It is however only work in progress....

My intention is to bring it to such a state that you will be able to implement
persistent data and GUI components in an easy way. Let's see how it comes
out. Thanks for your comments.

Indeed the large part of the work is the design docs and sample codes that I
haven't posted yet. I'm writing some sort of a generalized structure
model/view framework that you can use to implement your own data widgets
without being forced to use a table abstraction. Note that a table
abstraction is only useful when you have SQL, which we do not have here.
Neither we would want to.... Please follow the pointers I gave to berkeley DB
documentation in the original post.

The work is going well, I hope to make a release in a couple of weeks and add
this to kdenonbeta.

Sincerely,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>