List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE - XFree86-4.2.0 problem?
From:       Matt and Sarah <matt&sarah () email ! message ! co ! nz>
Date:       2002-03-30 3:34:04

I have a problem with some kde apps freezing my desktop.  The symptoms
are that certain applications (mostly Konqueror and Kcontrol centre)
will freeze my screen from time to time - this does not happen all the
time with these applications, and it seems to occur randomly.  Knode,
Kate and Krusader seem to be fine.

Even though the screen is frozen, the system is still running, the mouse
still moves, but i can't click anything.  Also i can't switch to another
terminal using ctrl+alt+F1, nor can i restart the X server with
ctrl+alt+backspace.  Trying to use alt+sysrq+r has no effect either.

I have heard of a couple of similar issues with other people.  It seems
this started happening when i converted to XFree86-4.2.  It happens with
KDE 2.2.1, 2.2.2, 3RC3 (RPMS) and 27032002CVS (compiled from source).

I am running Mandrake 8.2 (although it happens on 8.1 also).

Any ideas what might be causing this conflict would be greatly
appreciated.

Matt