List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop lock grace time
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2002-03-29 9:39:43

On Friday 29 March 2002 05:57, Jeff Knee wrote:
> > due to a timeout it wouldn't hurt to have a default grace-period. I don't
> > think this should be configurable actually, 30 seconds seems like a nice
> > value.
>
> I think 30 seconds is way long... giving someone possibly enough time to
> slide over the my keyboard as I walk away from my machine thinking I'm
> secure... therefore I think that it is good that it is configurable.

Oh come on. First of all if you really want to "leave your machine secure"
then you click on the lock icon, you don't sit there waiting for the screen
saver to kick in. Also, if you know about the grace time then you know that
it will take 30 seconds for the password lock to be activated.

And finally, no screen saver is going to protect your machine from someone who
has physical access to it and really wants to get your files anyway.

--
				Guillaume
				http://www.telegraph-road.org