List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Line spacing in qt-copy
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-20 21:09:50

On Wednesday 20 Mar 2002 8:46 am, Ewald Snel wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 March 2002 15:13, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > > Any more opinions?
> >
> > Personally, I agree with Gerold that it's too compact: looks like 66-line
>
> You're right, it's still not exactly the same as Qt-2.x/KDE-2.x. I've
updated
> my patches (again :)) to qt-3.0.3. I have verified that all of the XFree86
> bitmap fonts have 99% the same ascent/descent/height/leading as in Qt-2.x
> (just one font was 1 pixel off). Here are the results.

> (screenshots)
> http://rambo.its.tudelft.nl/~ewald/kde3qt3-2small.jpg
> http://rambo.its.tudelft.nl/~ewald/kde3qt3-patched.jpg
> http://rambo.its.tudelft.nl/~ewald/kde3qt3-2small-2.jpg
> http://rambo.its.tudelft.nl/~ewald/kde3qt3-patched-2.jpg

Looking at these screen shots, I would say that the qt-3.0.3 (unpatched)
spacing for lists and for menus is perfect. For continuous text (as in the
mail message), it is arguable that the patched version is better. But it
depends on what one's priorities are. Personally, I usually prefer to see the
maximum amount of text on the screen at any one time, and would therefore go
for the unpatched version. But for the most pleasant reading experience
(especially when one is in a relaxed mood), a slightly greater spacing is
better.

Fortunately, the solution is obvious. We simply need an intelligent line
spacing mechanism which detects the user's preferences and mood at the time,
and combines this with an analysis of the format and contents of the text
being displayed, to create the perfect presentation. I'm sure somebody can
rustle up code to do this in time for KDE 3.0. :-)

More seriously, how about a user-configurable spacing? It presumably wouldn't
be too difficult to implement, if Trolltech was agreeable. And that way,
everybody would be happy (unless their mood changed unexpectedly, or unless
like me they might like different spacings in different texts). And I wonder
if it would be a first for KDE?

Whatever spacing is finally adopted, it's great to see the wide spacing gone.
Just about anything would be better than that.

--
David Jarvie