List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introduction to KDE on first login
From:       Andy Goossens <andygoossens () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-03-19 22:53:00

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 23:17, Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 March 2002 22.08, Andy Goossens wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 March 2002 21:03, Chris Howells wrote:
> > > IIRC MandrakeSoft did create something like this online (anybody know
> > > the URL), but I want something offline and distributed with KDE.
> > This is very nice work of Mandrake. If we want a better KDE tutorial, we
> > should do it like they do. But it doesn't have to be an exact copy :-)
>
> There are two choices here.  You start writing an application that will run
> as a tutorial (kdenonbeta is just sitting there waiting for you to start,)
> or it's going to be a document for the tutorials section of KDE Help.

I wasn't actually planning to write it myself. I don't have enough experience
with C++ and Qt/KDE libs to do it, but my skills are improving. :-)

An introduction to KDE and learning how to use a computer are 2 different
things. The introduction to KDE is IMO better in a slideshow/html format.
Learning things, e.g. what windows are and how to use a mouse should be a
kde-edu program. Interactivity adds a big value there. Exercises like "Try
double clicking on that square..." and responses like "No, that was too slow"
and "perfect" aren't possible in a doc/html format.

Lauri, thanks for the tips how to write docs, but I don't think I'm going to
do that in the near future. But you'll never know... I'm full of surprises :-)

--
Andy Goossens -- andygoossens at softhome dot net

"Use the Source, Luke..."