List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 user login/logout
From:       akar <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-03-19 10:57:19

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 09:44, John Gluck wrote:
> Gee ... I'm sorry I upset you so much.
> Get up on the wrong side of the bed and bash your head into the wall???
> :-)
>
> BTW harsh tome was not required. IMHO it was not even an option. :-)

I think an important point IS being overlooked here.
This is the *kde-devel* list, not kde or even kde-linux. Anyone who posts here
should be upto date on the topic they are talking about and although Oswald
may have come across harshly his points are valid.

This list is not meant for newbie end-users, anyone posting to it with an
issue of concern should at the minimum have looked at the bugs database and
really should be aware of the current state of the code before they comment
because after all it is a development list. If they cant be bothered giving
an issue that level of attention then they should restrict themselves to
making wish-list requests to the bug database.

We all make mistakes and in an arena that is so dynamic and in flux like kde
is that is very easy. John makes many useful posts to the user lists but
kde-devel needs to insist on the standards of RTFM and BugBase and code
awareness if it is to fulfil the function for which it is meant. God knows we
have enough trouble on the user list due to different distros different
versions and a Babylonian perpective of the state of the art.
   A devel list need to have firm terms of reference and that means the
current state of code, not how it was last month or last week and it is upto
the poster to ensure his info/request is current.
	And finally even if someone over-reacts, this is not an end-user list; we are
all adults here (cept me I'm only an 8yo child prodigy) so people should be
able to make harsh? comments without it being an issue.

regards,
andrew