List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 RC2 usability testing
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-03-16 1:04:59

On Friday 15 March 2002 23:19, Chris January wrote:
> This is the third time I've sent this e-mail - the other two may come
> through at some point, but I'm not holding my breath. :-)
> I've been doing some usability testing on KDE 3.0 RC2 and making a list of
> any issues I see. I have a couple of more novice users from college helping
> me too.
> You can read the first two reports (Kicker and Konqueror file browsing) by
> going to this web site:
> http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ccj00/usability/
> Please note, that all comments and suggestions made on those pages are IMHO.

Thanks for the testing and report.
My comments on the Konqueror list:

1. requires a new translatable string, impossible in a message freeze (remind for 3.1 ;)
2. is arguable, Undo at top of Edit is standard layout - and everyone I know uses RMB
for "Create new" anyway
3. hmm, the usual eye-candy problem. Can kpersonalizer activate this depending on
amount of eye-candy chosen ?
4. is a remainder of good old kfm.... doesn't make much sense anymore, basically
kept for people used to the kfm way. I'd be fine with removing it,
5. <-- that one looks like a bug (dupes in Go menu). Carsten ? ;)
6. not konq itself. That's the dirlister plugin (Dawit)
7. is this about the statusbar colors? In any case it's always possible to know
which panel is active - that's the purpose of the green led!
8. <-- oops, bug. Will have a look tomorrow.
9. Excellent idea.... but a bit hard to implement :}
(The reason this entry was added is for the tree view mainly. In the iconview,
we shouldn't see it.... Hmm)
10. Agreed. But i18n change, will have to wait for 3.1.
11. Any better suggestions then?
12. Hmm. No idea how to fix :(
13. For Malte I think (tooltip stuff)
14. This Comment definitely has to be changed, I agree! But i18n problem too.
15. Right. i18n though.
16. Hmm, that's because the + and - buttons aren't available for the text view,
obviously. Let's try changing the button order in 3.1 - can't do that now, because
of doc changes.

.... all in all, it's not the best time for fixing most of this, but it looks definitely useful for 3.1.

Thanks,
David.
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/