List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tooltip for .desktop files on the desktop
From:       Eric Christopherson <christopea28 () uww ! edu>
Date:       2002-03-15 5:15:44

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:32:45AM +0100, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> Tooltips for .desktop files could be done with a KFilePlugin that extracts
> useful information from them, like name, comment and type as well as type
> specific information, or whatever else they contain. Is there somewhere a
> list of all those .desktop file types with all their properties?
> Anyway, I can add it to my 3.1 TODO.

Speaking of TODO, I've been thinking it might be useful to make the .desktop
files for things such as filesystems and devices make a distinction in their
context menus between a) actions that refer to the filesystem/device/whatever
and b) actions that refer to the .desktop file itself. For instance, looking
at my floppy drive icon, the only floppy-specific action is mount (or
unmount if it already is mounted); the rest refer to Floppy.desktop.
Wouldn't it be nice to have the main part of the menu have things like
mount, unmount, format, view size info, etc., with a submenu to deal with
just the .desktop file?

Also, just now I noticed two interesting things that are in desktop context
menus that seem out of place:

1) .desktop files *on* the desktop have an entry "New window"; isn't it a bit
silly to include this, as all icons which launch folders from the desktop
launch them in new windows?

2) The "undo" entry. I can see the value of having "undo" in a context menu,
but IMO it should only appear in the context menu of the folder or desktop
that the icon is in; undoing an action has no inherent relation at all to
specific files or icons (although arguably it has no inherent relation
either to folder windows or the desktop...)

Finally (I'm almost done griping now), I would find it very useful if
context menus always had an icon's "default" action on them. This is useful
in at least two ways: First, if someone right-clicks a file but then changes
their mind and decides to launch it with the default action (something I do
constantly), they can do that without closing the menu and re-clicking.
Second, assuming the default action is made to stand out somehow (putting it
in bold or whatever), it's easy to see, if one isn't sure, just *what* the
default action is. Oh, and also if the "preview" actions were listed in the
context menu would be pretty nice, for the same reasons.

Excuse me for not submitting this as an official wishlist item; I'm not very
familiar with how to do that, really.

--
Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^