List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: configuration
From:       Andreas Simon <yuipx () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-03-09 14:45:32

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 15:13, Arjan Buursink wrote:
> setConfigFile("/etc/X11/XF86Config")
> listBox("Resolution","Modes", "1280x1024", "1024x768")
> listbox("Color Depth","Depth", 8, 16, 24, 32)

Just a side note from me:
This is hardly enough information to define how
to actually change the config file. You also need
a mapping between the configuration properties and
how to put/read them in/from the config file. This
mapping will be different for each thing you want
to be able to modify.

> At the moment I am thinking of making a program that is able to process the
> code from the examples. Note however that I have written nothing and thus the
> code may be a to be developed scripting language or C, C++ or whatever.

Always use the language which fits best for a given job.

> I would like to have some comments on these ideas from a user perspective and
> a developer perspective. Would you think this is useful? In what language
> should the configuration code be written? Do you have other suggestions?

I would write the config code in Python or Perl. But this mirrors
just my own preferences. C++ is surly not the very best choice
to manipulate text config files ;-)

Maybe you want to look at Red Carpet from Ximian. It's always a good
Idea to look how/what others do.

Cheers,
Andreas