List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Alt-F2] run command tool
From:       Andy Goossens <andygoossens () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-02-27 21:23:23

On Wednesday 27 February 2002 21:39, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 07:33:09PM -0500, Andreas Henningsson wrote:
> > Would be nick if someone could add a checkbox to it or something
> > like this ....
> >
> > [x] add link to application on desktop
> >
> > or something simular in the run command tool(alt+F2)
>
> If you can type an application name in there, is it so hard to click on the
> desktop with the right mouse button and create the application link
> yourself?

This way is much too complicated for the normal user. Just try it. RMB on
desktop -> New -> Shortcut to application -> Select Execute Tab -> Click
Browse button -> And try to find the file if you have no clue where it could
be... (Luckily we have something like PATH) And don't forget to set the name
of the link and its icon. Actual English words may differ (translated here)
and maybe things changed since KDE 2.2.2. But this is just to difficult.
That's the MS way to do it :-)

> I'm all for keeping minicli small and simple, which is why it works.

OK, keep it small and simple. Just add a checkbox in the minicli window when
you first pressed the "Options" button.

Minicli knows exactly what icon the program uses and where to find the
program (if it's in your PATH). But this won't be the best place/program to
create the link in. The name of the link and the icon used could better be
auto-detected inside the link properties dialog (the steps I mentioned above).

A suggestion with useability in mind...

--
Andy Goossens - andygoossens-at-softhome.net

"Internet will never be popular" -- Bill Gates
(long before he began to work on internet explorer, msn, hotmail, .Net, ...)