List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kbuildsycoca crashes
From:       jonathan_brugge <jonathan_brugge () mailcircuit ! com>
Date:       2002-02-23 18:43:08

I think this is the list where I should post this, posting to bugs.kde.org
doesn't seem to be the best place for CVS-version related problems. If not,
just redirect me and I'll go where you say.

I decided to build an optimized KDE from CVS a few days ago. I downloaded
everything and built it, without problems. Now, whenever I want to start KDE
(or any KDE-using application) it wants to start kbuildsycoca, which is what
I'd expect. But kbuildsycoca crashes. It gives this as output:

kde3@odysseus:~/cvs-kde$ kbuildsycoca
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
Property 'Commands' is defined multiple times (KoDataTool)
Property 'DataMimeTypes' is defined multiple times (KoDataTool)
Property 'DataType' is defined multiple times (KoDataTool)
Property 'ExcludeFrom' is defined multiple times (KoDataTool)
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kbuildsycoca path = <unknown> pid = 23881
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPServer up and running.

I'm wondering what to do about this. Google doesn't tell me what's wrong and
it doesn't give a usable stack trace because I built with --disable-debug
(yes, flame me to hell...I don't know enough about KDE to help out with bugs,
so I decided I didn't need debug-info in KDE. Second reason is that I'm short
on diskspace for now). I looked whether kbuildsycoca already built its
database, but there was no ~/.kde/share/config/ksycoca (that's where it's
supposed to get, right?). Copying one from my KDE2.2 doesn't help, as I'd
expected. I searched for KoDataTool, but grep didn't find it. At first the
errors had some lines about KDevelop in there too: these disappeared when I
removed kdevelop/gideon. As I don't find KoDataTool in the source I can't
look what's wrong, let alone remove it (which I guess isn't possible, it's
not an app like gideon I suppose).

I used gcc 3.0.4 to build. Updating CVS didn't help. I know this is not the
right way to send a bugreport, but recompiling with debugging information
takes *long* on my machine and it's not said that I know more with that
information. So, if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong I would be
happy. If you need more information I'll reply as soon as possible, but my
KDE2-installation seems to be more or less broken and I'm using twm now. I'm
not entirely sure whether kmail works as it should: I can start it, but
haven't seen mail from kde-devel for at least four days or so, so I guess
there's something wrong with either kmail or my mail-provider. For that
reason, please reply to the CC too. It's an hotmail-account, because I can
easily read my mail with a browser there, not relying on a working mail
client.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

	Jonathan Brugge