List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some icon issues
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-21 17:56:19

On Thursday 21 February 2002 15:48, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> > > Overlays... what should happen ?
> > > No animation if the icon uses zip overlay ?
> > > Or no animation if _any_ overlay is used ?
> > > This includes symlinks, hidden dirs/files and unreadable
> > dirs/files (lock
> > >  icon).
> >
> > what about "no overlays during the animation"?

I talked to Torsten to tell him how much he didn't understand
what I was asking - the question isn't about overlays during
the animation (please don't request that!) - it's about showing
the wrong animation when the initial icon has an overlay.
Still don't know in which cases to disable the animation...

> I was unaware there was already an overlay mechanism (d'oh!), so I added my
> own to the end of KFileIVI::paintItem. Doing this caused my overlays to be
> compatible with animations - does this help?

Well, the existing mechanism is quite unflexible, since it requires
adding a flag in the KIcon enum, some code in KFileItem to select
the overlay, and having an overlay pixmap (not your case).

Any overlays will be "incompatible" with animations in that your additional
info will not appear during the animation, obvoiusly, but that's not a big problem.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops