List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Menu structure needs attention
From:       John Golubenko <jeneago () attbi ! com>
Date:       2002-02-21 11:11:33

On 20 February 2002 20:43, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just want to ask if it does make sense to propose (and commit )
> changes to the menu structure without stepping on someones toes :-|
>
> I see many apps located in a place - probably for historical reasons ,
> but not very useful from the users point of view.
> why is korganizer in "Applications" and not in Office? does it mean that
> all other apps are _no_ applications ?
> why "Internet" has a sub menu for 4 Terminals an no sub menu for 5
> browsers (konqueror, mozilla,galeon,netscape, opera) or 6 Mail apps
> (kmail, Coolmail, Evolution, Fetchmail, Korn, Netscape MEssanger)
> why is Adobe Acrobat in Office and not in Graphics like Kghostview.
>
> Sure, all depends on what is installed.
> It does not make sense to have sub menus with just one or two items, but
> the menus get crowded.
> Is it up to the packager to group the apps nicely ?
> Or can kappfinder do the job automagicaly ? For this to work an app
> (desktop file ?) would have to categorize itself into one or more [sub-]
> categories and if kappfinder finds 3 or more apps for this sub category
> it creates a new menu entry with this apps.....

Indeed. I'm always confused by KDE's menu. I often look in wrong places
for apps I need. Also you  cannot drag'n'drop menus, to arrange
menus/submenus, etc. Also its annoying that pressing right mouse button
over the app menu, it launches the app, and I always want properties
dialog to popup for this app (like change icons, handled files, etc.), or
like in windows, mouse menu where I can change name, preferences, sort,
etc. Also "system" and "preferences" menus are confusing, since in
preferences you dont even have a button to kcontrol, and in system you
have 'KDE desktop preferences' (where you select language, etc.).