List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 Kicker: Where are the Lock/Logout buttons?
From:       CP Hennessy <CP.Hennessy () iname ! com>
Date:       2002-02-17 16:12:32

David Jarvie wrote:

> On Friday 15 February 2002 09:23, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > On Friday 15 February 2002 09:01, Thomas Leitner wrote:
> > >
> > > I've migrated my desktop from KDE 2.2.2 to KDE 3.0 beta2 and I don't have
> > > the usual Lock/Logout buttons in kicker anymore. How can I get them again?
> >
> > You have to add the Lock/Logout Applet.
> > right mouse btn. click on kicker -> Add -> Applet ->
> > Lock/Logout Applet
>
> It would surely be better to keep the applet visible by default, since
> otherwise lots of users won't even know that it exists. You may argue that it
> is something unnecessary that not everybody will want. But people would be
> much more likely to be able to work out how to remove it if they didn't want
> it, than to realise that it exists when they can't see it.

This is especially true of users of KDE 2.x who have grow to expect
the Lock/Logout buttons on kicker.
Please at least when starting a KDE3 session for the first time and
there are already files from KDE2, then default so that this applet is
available on kicker. This will then seem more like a smoother upgrade
than expecting the user to *know* that they have to explicitly add this
app in KDE3.