On Saturday 16 February 2002 08:24 am, Richard Stevens wrote: > > If there were a choice for the behavoir one could specify, that would be > > great. > > > > What is WORSE, is having a MIXTURE of both. > > Well, I guess it's personal taste. I totally agree with both of your > statements above though! I presume we can all live with UNIX-only scheme, although I'd add one thing to it: ability to *quickly* select (w/o using keyboard) which one of the recent klipper entries you want to paste. That's where the real problem lies: suppose we have the single scenario everybody is so complaining about: - select text (1) -> it gets auto-copied - select some other text (2) to be overwritten - go to the klipper to choose text (1) - mmb paste text (1) The windows way of - select text (1) - ^C - copy it - ^V paste it is clearly much easier. The third step in unix way is very annoying. I'd do it like that: - mmb opens a pull-down list of recent klipper entries - you either (all ways of doing it should be supported) a) lmb click on the one you want to paste - this requires some mouse motion over the drop-down list b) use scroll whel to move list selector up/down and mmb click again (anywhere on screen) to paste it - this has the advantage of not requiring mouse motion, just mmb + [wheel to choose] + mmb c) use up/down arrow keys + enter - this is for souls using keyboard I also think that ^C should do nothing more than set a (newly introduced) default_selection = blah flag in klipper that the next paste will be the one that was last selected before the ^C was pressed (i.e. that further selections will be noticed by klipper, but not choosen as default-for-pasting) - the drop down list for the next paste is automaticly disabled as well. After the paste, the default_selection gets reverted to -1, so it's ignored. ^V should then do the same thing that mmb does This approach has many advantages to me, and people coming from both worlds may just happen to like it: 1. select + ^C + ^V works just the windows way 2. as people get to know mmb, the select + ^C + mmb works windows way as well 3. if you choose not to use ^C, the select + mmb works with drop-down list, which has three convenient interfaces: mouse - a), b) and keyboard c) 4. for hardcore unix folks, the drop-down list can be disabled with a simple checkbox presumably in both klipper and control-center mouse panel 5. there's no need to mention windows: just provide "disable drop-down paste list" One scenario which I left out is: select + ^C + ^V + subsequent ^V's: for subsequent ^V/mmb's, the default_selection reverts to -1, so it's ignored, so that people get presented with the menu - this will make all windows folks automaticly exposed to the new functionality. I don't know whether this is good or wrong, but I assume that's acceptable, and that doesn't require you to move away from the keyboard - the up/down arrow + enter way of choosing the selection to paste works. I presume it would be useful for me to write a patch for that and submit for testing, right? Would changes against kde 2.2.2 be fine, or is klipper changed too much in 3.0? Cheers, Kuba >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<