List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kernel panic compiling kde3 beta2 (!) Redhat 7.2
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-14 17:46:01

On Thursday 14 February 2002 15.35, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Any ideas here?  I have nowhere to start.  The same machine that has
> compiled kde3 all along chokes on kde3 beta 2.  The last thing from the
> compiler is:

I get failures on this exact file on FreeBSD with GCC 2.95.3, if I have -O in
the compiler line.  Well, not a kernel panic, but the file fills 500 or so MB
memory and gcc crashes with a signal 9 error.

Reconfiguring with --enable-debug=full (which turns off the optimizations)
solved it for me.  FreeBSD recommends against using these optimizations
anyway, and the ports and packages build without them normally.

Still, nobody I asked on Linux could reproduce it, or I'd have reported it
earlier.  Of course, I asked mostly developers who compile with
--enable-debug=full anyway.

Compiles a whole hell of a lot faster too..

--
Lauri Watts