List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea: more personalisation by desktop profiles
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-14 8:37:50

>> Well, you could already set $KDEHOME to different directories.
>> This works also good when using KDE over VNC.
>>
>> Bye
>> Alex
>If you are using KDM it's easy to configure the use of diferents $KDEHOME
>that you can chose from the list when loging in. If you wanna know how to do
>it, I wrote some documentation on having two diferent versions of KDE on the
>same computer, and when loging in I have to change KDEHOME, that will be
>aplicable for your case:
>http://www.pupeno.com.ar/ttexts/runningkdes/index.html
>(there are some broken links, I'm sorry, didn't have time to correct them, I
>hope you find the way (just changing some " " for "%20").
>peace and love!
>- --

Well, changing KDEHOME in the startup scripts is what I am doing now, but this
is something, that of course is quite complicated to a standard user. He/she
needs a GUI for this and I also would prefer it since it is more comfortable.

Another drawback of setting KDEHOME is, that you duplicate ALL settings. E.g.
I wouldn't like to have 2 copies of kmailrc, since I have a rather complex
setting for my filters, but I would like to seperate a lot of other settings.
Well, I could make a link - but then I would spend a lot of time tweaking
everything - why not having a GUI for setting the profile?

In .kde you could do it by having a default .kde/share dir and additional
share dirs called something like .kde/share_profilename. So if the user
chooses the profile named <profilename> the settings override the settings in
.kde/share. This is basically an extension to the already existing hierarchy
of settings in /opt/kde3 and $HOME/.kde3/share
You also would need a dialog window start asks the user at startup which
profile to use (default or <profilename>).

Greetings,
eva