List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: (k)Mail Signature
From:       Jason Wood <jasonwood () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-10 4:14:11

On Sunday 10 February 2002 2:02 am, Jason Katz-Brown wrote:
> > For further details, see
> > http://www.use-net.ch/netiquette_engl.html#signatures"
>
> 1) that article is all about usenet, and will only confuse users

Fair enough. I did a google search for netiquette + signatures and picked the
first thing that looked appropriate., I'm sure that it would not be too
difficult to find a better site however.

> 2) all this alert would do is annoy users, and not add any more usefulness
> to KMail IMO

This won't annoy your average joe, because most of them either don't use
signatures, or use sensible ones.

For the people that it does affect, I think they fall into two categories.
First, there is the clueless newbie, who doesn't get the gist of what a
signature is for. They get a polite warning from kmail, rather than getting
(probably) flamed for it when they start posting to mailing lists.

The other category of people are those who think that they actually do need a
signature thats 15 lines in length for whatever reason. Although I strongly
believe that they should be annoyed as much as possible :->, we can avoid
that by having a "don't show this message box again" checkbox when the alert
pops up.

--
Jason Wood