List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE & Multithreading
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-02-09 19:01:56

Jay Cornwall wrote
>On Saturday 09 February 2002 12:43 am, Charles Samuels wrote:
>> So, I assume you're using the posix network calls (and not the Qt ones),
>> since the Qt ones are all non-blocking, and require an event loop to
>> select() the file descriptor. (btw, QSocketDevice doesn't need an event
>> loop).  Anything that needs an event loop needs to be in the main thread.
>
>Yes, I'm using the POSIX socket functions. To be honest, I've never really
>liked the way QT tries to abstract almost everything into classes. It seems
>unnecessary to me, and in some cases makes the code more cluttered than
>otherwise. Then again, I've never really been a fan of OO programming. ;)

Just a network side note:

if you're going to use low-level functions instead of the KDE and Qt
implementations, you need to be very careful. Some implementations just do
things differently than what you're used to.

I recommend the following, if even to keep more compatible with the expected
behaviour of a KDE application:
- instead of using the low-level functions directly, use their implementations
in KSocks. That way, you'll benefit from automatic proxy support if the user
configured it
- do the lookups using KExtendedSocket::lookup
--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com