List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail and full disks
From:       Bryce Nesbitt <bryce () obviously ! com>
Date:       2002-02-02 2:17:56

KDE 3's new low memory
pop up warning ought to be good enough for most applications.

But IMHO, a few critical apps (KMail included) ought be responsible
with safegaurding user data themselves, regardless of how bad things get.

		-Bryce

Note: KMail does have a crash handler.  Did it save the data in this case?

In the report below, KMail's declining to corrupt the mailbox is good.
Offering to save to a different volume would have been even better.

There are lots of good of ways to make mail robust:

First copying the mail folder, and modifying only the copy, would
be well worth the cpu & disk effort spent.  Once the two mailboxes
are crosschecked, the files can be renamed or relinked.

In the POP or IMAP case KMail could write, sync & verify
the data prior to issuing the delete commands to the server.  If done
in blocks of, say, 100 messages, the speed hit would be negligible.