List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPersonalizer - Mom test
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-31 19:49:11

On Thursday 31 January 2002 16:36, David Chappell wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 03:45, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 January 2002 21:39, Corrin Lakeland wrote:
> > > 2: They had no idea what to choose for the speed setting.  This page
> > > looked pretty intuitive to me but they're on a P90 and after reading
> > > the page they left it on the default.  Perhaps we could get the
> > I dont like this, even if the machine is faster some of the options still
> > slows the user down (animated combo-boxes/menus). Also text-preview and
> > large icons are just horrible from an aesthetic point of view.
> Do you disagree with the idea of adapting the default to the speed of
> the machine, or you disagree with the idea that the default for a fast
> machine should have everything on by default?

Please guys, read the last 60 messages on the "KDE Speed" thread, read
Waldo's ADMIN posting killing that thread. And then leave it be.

> It seems to me that there could be a default for current-generation
> machines (which would turn on those features most people liked that
> weren't horribly expensive) and a default for obsolete machines that
> would turn off anything expendable.

As many people have pointed out, KDE runs on all kinds of hardware and OSsen
and there simply is no sensible way of getting *KDE* to find out what a
sensible setting is. [/me pimps his shell-script idea again, from the KDE
Speed thread] Let it go. KPersonalizer has a default setting in the middle
and that's pretty much where it's gonna stay.