List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Converting timezone string to GMT difference
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-01-30 17:31:54

Stanislav Visnovsky wrote
>Is there a function in kdelibs/qt to convert timezone string (e.g. CET) to
>GMT difference (+0100)? Or should I use ftime() or will %z work? Is
>ftime() or %z portable enough for KDE (e.g. Solaris does not support %z
>AFAIK)?

I don't think reading "CET" makes a lot of sense. Nothing guarantees "CET" is
Central European Time. It could very well mean something else.

Now, a string lile "CET-1" is more workable. The "-1" in there means you have
to add -1 to get to UTC/GMT (that is, it's zone GMT+1).

And please note that strftime and strptime contain a lot of non-portable GNU
extensions. I even think strptime itself is an extension, but I am not sure.

Just my 0.02 Euro (0.13 F).

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com