List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE speed issues
From:       Isen Kusima <cycnus () cbn ! net ! id>
Date:       2002-01-25 17:49:46

On Friday 25 January 2002 22:36, jonathan_brugge wrote:
> I think you can do two things:
>
> 1) Try to detect where the slider should be for a particular system. To
> keep it quite easy, I suggest using some algorithm like
> 'x*RAM+y*CPU_MHZ+z*SOME_OTHER_THING'. Playing around a bit with x, y an=
d z
> should give a reasonable default setting. Remember: you can't exactly
> determine how fast a system is: there're about 75 programs out there th=
at
> try to find out the speed of a system, and then a few hundred that
> benchmark specific components. No reason to imitate that, way too much =
work
> for only one slider ;).

(I'm the person who suggest 3 slider bar)
That's why I believe we need more slider.
I know simpler is better, but this is too complex for single slider.
And I don't agree with 1 slider bar.

> 2) As the user might nog know about how much RAM he has, the speed of h=
is
> HDD and all those other things that determine speed, you have to ask hi=
m a
> simpler question. One that comes to mind here: "From what year is your
> computer?". From there on you can say that computers from say 1999 and
> newer can use eye-candy X or function Y. I know it's rough, probably _v=
ery_
> rough, but it's an option that can work.

This will confuse user.
ex.
My original computer is from 1997.
P-II 350
64MB RAM
4GB 5400rpm UDMA/33
Some cheap video card
15" monitor

then I upgrade the video card & monitor in 1998/1999 to RivaTNT2Ultra & 1=
7"
in 1999/2000 my HD goes south & I bought 30GB UDMA/100 7200rpm drive.
in 2000/2001 I upgrade to P-III 733MHz & 128MB.
in 2001 memory were cheap I buy another 128MB & 258MB (i815 512MB max)

So what should I answer "From what year is your computer?"

> I expect the 'where's your patch'-question to pop up within half an hou=
r,
> so I'll give an answer beforehand: I don't have a patch, but I'm willin=
g to
> write something like that. One problem that comes to mind is that I don=
't
> know much about C/C++, but I've got some basic Java-knowledge and have =
been
> using Perl quite a lot the past year. Fortunately I got a book about C
> sometime ago and I have all necessary docs installed here, so I guess i=
t's
> about time to learn that language :).

the "where's your patch" question is really scary ;)))
I'm new to Linux, know C/C++
but only 1 months of 100% usage
I don't fell to mess around with code right now.
maybe 2-3 months later, when I get more used to Linux.