List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Checking the Network Connection
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-01-23 20:18:26

Neil Stevens wrote
>On Tuesday January 22, 2002 02:24, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>> On Tuesday 22 January 2002 03:07 pm, aleXXX wrote:
>> > So, not really KDE specific, but how about simply trying to connect to
>> > this port on the given hosts using plain C functions ?
>>
>> If you want to connect yourself, you better use KSocket instead. That
>> doesn't take into account your proxy configuration though.
>
>KSocket uses KExtendedSocket which uses the KSocks proxy config, though.
>It's just not the protocol-specific proxy.

If you use KExtendedSocket directly, you can add neat stuff like asynchronous
lookup and connect. With that, you create all objects, dispatch the all
connections at the same time and then wait for the signals. It should take
about a minute to check all URLs. What I don't know yet is how to tell apart
one object from another. Does qt support identification of the object sending
the signal?

As for the proxies, that's up to you. You'd have to read from
/etc/apt/apt.conf the proxy configuration and use it yourself. The KSocks
code kdecore uses is for global proxying.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com