List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: casting an 'int' to a class
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-22 7:17:58

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:28:43AM -0500, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> > I don't think the obfuscation is worth the gains (if there are any).
>
> Without:
> 	A a(b);
> 	a->transform( c );
>         b = a->a;
> With casting:
> 	((A*)&b)->transform( c );
>
> Without casting requires wierd code or a non-OO API.  I wrote the non-OO API
> first, and decided that it was too convoluted.  Then I did the OO without
> casting, and decided it was too long and ugly.  Also, an inline function is
> used for the casting which pretties up the appearance, so the above code is
> just to show the principle.

Without:
    b = A( b ).transform( c );
    Or rather: don't store b as int in the first place.

    Accessing the stored integer value:

    A bleh = ...

    int foo = bleh; // use operator int () const { return value; }

I agree with Waldo. Such hacks aren't worth it IMHO, and the
original syntactical problem can be solved easily.

Simon