List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Manual Autocompletion
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-18 19:24:02

#if dep
> well, for instance, if i have "automatic" enabled, "ftp" gives me
> "ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/7.3". now, admittedly,
> someone using 7.3 will find this particular directory very useful<g>,
> but it does not really embrace the universe of ftp servers.

Hmm, it will give you that URL because you've been there recently. What
were you expecting instead ? When I type 'news<enter>' I go to
newsforge.com, as I wished. When I type 'fresh<enter>' I go to
freshmeat.net, similarly 'dot' -> dot.kde.org, 'free' -> freekde.org,
etc.

> in konqueror's defense, it is not as bad in this regard as opera 5.0
> is, and turning it off is easier. my point is that inserting a
> keystroke to invoke it would make it useful for those occasions where
> someone *does* want to return to a place they remember having been
> to, perhaps via some kind of search they cannot now recreate, but who
> generally does not find satisfaction with autocompletion. likewise,
> it has its uses in kmail, but only sometimes. and that inasmuch as
> the standard autocompletion key in linux (and i believe most unices,
> or most shells -- no idea where this function enters things) is
> <tab>, that is the likeliest candidate for that keystroke.

Did you try the 'Short Automatic' and 'Manual' modes ? What's your
opinion on which should be the default ?

> but back to the initial point, i think that longtime linux/unix users
> find themselves automatically hitting tab when they want
> autocompletion, and hitting tab twice to see the choices when there
> are choices, and that this is good and expected behavior and ought to
> at least be an option -- not everyone is coming from windows, and
> even those that are may be interested in a better way of doing things.

Sure, I'd like tab-completion and I'm sure many others would too.
Unsurprisingly, it all comes down to someone caring enough to implement
the option. I guess the reason why it doesn't exist already is no-one
has figured out how to make it work nicely when TAB currently defaults
to 'focus next widget'.

Rik