On Wednesday 16 January 2002 12:03 pm, Thomas Zander wrote: > The more you make configurable the worse the usability gets of KDE as a > whole. Please think before you make/suggest configurable. It is totally > stupid to make this configurable in the first place! Before more people get insulted let me give a short update. I seem to hav= e=20 found a reasonable algorithm to determine the size of a messagebox. It wi= ll=20 prefer a size larger than the minimum required size but smaller than 1/3r= d of=20 the screen width. If the minimum required size is larger than 1/3rd of th= e=20 screen width it will use that instead but it will never make the dialog w= ider=20 than 2/3rd's of the screen.=20 This is still based on Qt's WordBreak routines. It might be possible to=20 squeeze words that don't fit into 2/3rd of the screen, but it will not be= =20 possible to provide a tooltip for that word only. That is, the tooltip wi= ll=20 be active for the entire text and I guess should either contain the=20 non-squeezed word or the total non-squeezed text. If we want per-word tooltips someone should provide a widget that support= s=20 that. An advantage would be that we could cache e.g. the size of words wh= ich=20 would make the various operations required slightly more efficient. A=20 disadvantage would be that in order to stay consistent, it should also be= =20 able to handle rich-text. Given that, it might be easier to hack Qt so th= at=20 it squeezes words when they don't fit, (and provide a tooltip) than to=20 reinvent the wheel ourselves.=20 Since the consensus seems to be that automatic linebreaks are here to sta= y,=20 that means that all mid-sentence line-breaks within message boxes should = be=20 removed. Line-breaks should only be used to indicate end-of-paragraph. Grepping the .pot (?) files for line-breaks which aren't preceeded by a '= =2E'=20 might provide a good start. Cheers, Waldo --=20 bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<