List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ad-block in Konqueror
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-01-05 1:58:14

On Friday January 04, 2002 05:28, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Saturday 05 January 2002 02:21, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > On Friday January 04, 2002 03:32, Marc Paradise wrote:
> > > I'm looking  for an opinion - do you think it would be a good idea
> > > to add ad-blocking to Konqueror?  I'm interested in doing this, but
> > > I don't want to get started if the KDE community thinks its a bad
> > > idea.
> >
> > There are some vocal people opposed, but it's a good feature to have.
>
> The issue usually brought up is that junkbuster already does the job
> fairly well. However it's not at all integrated with KDE, and isn't too
> easy to setup.

Well, I use junkbuster, and over the KDE 2.0->3.0 march, KDE has replaced
nearly every feature of it for me.  All that's left is the blocking.

The argument I ran into when I suggested it, though, was that Konqueror
may get a reputation of its users being "freeloaders," and that sites may
try to block users of Konqueror.

Of course, that argument presupposes that users want the feature,
therefore I want to make the feature at least available as a patch, so
users and packagers can choose whether they want it or not.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.