List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Ad-block in Konqueror
From:       Marc Paradise <developer () platinumage ! com>
Date:       2002-01-04 23:32:50

I'm looking  for an opinion - do you think it would be a good idea to add
ad-blocking to Konqueror?  I'm interested in doing this, but I don't want to
get started if the KDE community thinks its a bad idea.

The way I would like to implement it is as follows:
1) User can right click on any graphic; the context menu would contain a
selection labeled (something like) :
block graphics from this source'

2) Selecting this will add the source url/ip address to a table of 'filtered'
addresses

3) User will have a new component to maintain these lists and fine tune the
settings as Settings dialog/Web Browsing/->ad blocking tab.  This will allow
the user to manually exclude (or remove from exclusion) graphic providers.

4) When loading graphics from web sites, Konqueror will first check to ensure
that the source address is not on the filtered address list.  If it is, it
will load a 1-pixel transparent gif.  If it is not, the graphic will load as
usual.

I haven't explained this very well - the idea is still rough - but I think
I've gotten the idea across.  Feedback will be appreciated...

Thanks,

Marc