List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: gcc 3.0.3
From:       Michael Ritzert <kde () ritzert ! de>
Date:       2001-12-26 10:31:16

Hi Ben,

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:38:46AM -0800, Ben Woodhead wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> I took a look at gccs page and mailing lists and also kdes, I have not found any \
> information on if gcc is going to resolve the problems or if they have been \
> resolved with compiling kde with gcc3. Can someone point me to a location where I \
> can find more information on what the issues are with gcc3 and kde, and possibly \
> information on an estement on time or a version when these issues should be \
> resolved. I have compiled kde3beta1 but there are some issues with it..

I can at least tell you that there is a fix for GCC PR #3145 (the infamous
arts bug, http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=3145) \
in the GCC 3.0.3 sources that in not applied by default. It is in the file \
contrib/PR3145.patch. So I guess you will have to recompile GCC or hope to find a \
binary package created with this patch applied if you care about a working arts.
This patch will of course be in the GCC 3.1 code.

Apart from that I only use GCC 3.0.4 pre or GCC 3.1 to compile KDE CVS HEAD.
I found two bugs in GCC 3.1 while doing so (#4994, #5184) while doing so,
but did not yet encounter KDE bugs. (I must admin I don't use much of it,
however, mostly konsole, kmail, konqueror.)

Michael