List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Are we going to do anything about this?
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-12-24 9:09:04

The points returned back on this are very valid as well. Things don't get
done by themselves. It takes a lot of work. Most people on this list are too
busy with the code.

You could easily make a number of divisions on several criteria for people
using computers. When MS introduced win95 they basically said it was not for
mission critical work. For my part if something is not important enough to me
to be mission critical I can't see doing it unless perhaps it's a game...
which I have little time for anyway. In the 90s I switched to OS/2 and then
Linux. I am one of those people willing to trade off somethings for several
critical factors. Control, stability and security. I have yet to find
something attractive enough to cause me to sacrifice these things because my
records have shown that losing these in the long run, even in the short run,
costs me way too much. Many people do not have sophisticated demands. I know
I am in the minority because I won't tolerate shoddy work... so in my company
I mandate our work is done on Linux/KDE. ;-)

I've long said people would not tolerate cars being as unreliable as windows.
Unless you disagree it is simply a matter of widespread mediocrity and a lack
of understanding things could be better. Also known as "the devil they know".

I know people who are not so computer literate who hate windows because of
all the dumb wizards that treat them like idiots. In my experience trying to
work on windows boxes the first thing that drives me insane is missing my 12
desktops. the list goes on from there. My windows friends are blown away by
what I can accomplish on the command line too.

As for the Word and Outlook... the reality is that they are at the heart of,
what I was told a year ago in a networking conference, 4,000 new "viruses"
(worms) a month unleased on shoddy architecture. The worst part of this is a
lack of open file formats... something I think we can all agree was a big
miss in the recent antiturst trial.

There are decent solutions today and better ones on the way, but then KDE has
a fraction of the lifespan of the blight from Redmond. Put in that
perspective and even discounting for being able to copy features in existence
the usability of KDE is nothing short of remarkable! In fact a recent review
in a New Zealand magazine put KDE ahead of Win XP for usability.

I don't disagree that KDE has not surpassed windows in a lot of areas,
especially applications. However I personally don't feel a need to subject
myself to torment and further licensing treadmills to understand what makes a
good app.

Now I will end this and go back to what KDE people focus on that makes it so
great... coding. Since this is a development list I hope your next post will
be more constructive. I think most people on this list have identified the
problem and are working on it... more code has to be written. ;-)

Cheers

--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team