List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Are we going to do anything about this?
From:       Ben Woodhead <ben () echotech ! ca>
Date:       2001-12-19 18:28:49

The first step in solving any problem is to identify the problem, why do
people in linux keep saying well take the first step. I do appologize if I
have affended anybody, kde is a very nice desktop. There is no question about
it in my mind.. But there are some very small areas that people that don't
use computer will get caught on.. Theres not many but there are a few..

Anyway, why are people having a problem with what I said, there was an active
discussion regarding why kde is not in business, I really felt that the
people that were discussing this were wrong about why linux and kde were not
addopted yet. If you were not part of the original discussion why are you
attacking me.. I have done more about this the a lot of people, I am not an
active KDE developer, which makes all of you better then me, I know..

But, tell me, how many people have pushed there bosses to move to kde, or
there board of directors, or taken the time to do case studies on people
using kde, what is causing people problems, what is good, what is bad.. Where
are the little slick things, that are often overlooked but very noticable
when missed.

I didn't just send a message to the board to piss everybody off and get
attacked back. I was responding to a discussion regarding this topic, a topic
that i happend to be spending alot of time working on..

The biggest thing is why are people missing the point.. Perhaps it was the way
I wrote it.. There were a lot of places that the spell checker toasted. The
point is not "how polished kde is". It was about "kde in business", and what
everybody should have gotten was without Outlook and Word, not going to
happen..

If you want to write software because you want good software, then great don't
read discussions regarding people trying to get kde in bussiness, just
continue on your marry way and don't worry about it (that was not ment
sarcastic, I really mean that), but if you intentions are MS related, then
you should be looking at ms really closely. If you are aiming a bussiness,
then start looking at bussiness users. Bussiness users are looking for Word
(because they have not choice, also a lot of people have a really hard time
going from word to wordperfect, can you even amagine what would happen if you
changed to koffice, change the color and there are going to need training).

And even more important the anything else is contacts, you have to be thinking
contacts if you in bussiness. Outlook make that easy.. Everybody in this list
could tell me why qt is better then any other library, what makes you any
different then anybody else. The only thing that changes is the topic.

I would like appoligize for the typoes in my original message, I used kmail
spell check from a cvs version and it replaced nothing and put the text in
different places, I tryied to fix that but I can see that I did miss a few
places.

Merry Christmass,
Ben Woodhead

Am Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2001 15:50 schrieb Ben Woodhead:
>  Hello Everybody
>
>  I would like to say something about why KDE and Linux are not common in
> business environments.
> I red an article a few weeks ago, regarding linux magazine having windows
> advertisements. The person who wrote the artiacle had alot of good points,
> 1 was that we can not ignore windows and 2 we should all spend abit more
> time in windows, or with people using windows topolished see the little
> pollished differences between the two.
<snip>

I agree with you that KDE/Linux needs to be more polished but since I still
did not find time to seriously take on this task I keep quiet on this issue.
Are you willing to contribute in a major way to polish KDE? If you are, just
start it and people will contribute. But it is pointless to point out an issue
and not take the first step to solving it.

Greetings,
Klas