List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kstart themes based on date/season
From:       Andrew Sutton <ansutton () sep ! com>
Date:       2001-12-16 14:08:46

> Though not being Irish this 'beer based theme' does sound good to me.  :))

i'm not irish either. i just like beer :)

> Perhaps a simple solution might be to make this theme user-adjustable: the
> user could select from various pictures to show up during a set of days.
>
> So we would have a list of timespan-to-picture matches, like this one:
>
>   time span      picture
> 1.12. - 26.12.   red_white_Santa
> 1.4.  - 1.4.     groucho_marx
> ..
>
> The user would specify as many time spans as (s)he would like to add
> add a picture to each of them.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

good, but i'm starting to think that there's actually a more interesting
problem to be solved inside this... now we're looking at a way to denote
timespans of cultural or social significance inside a calandar year. it
sounds to me, like this cultral timespan feature should be implemented in
kde-pim (for the calandar) and then used by the theme switcher - or some
other application (can't think of any right now)...

it should be possible to treat holidays, some month (breast cancer month,
some week (national pickle week), birthdays, etc. as yearly events. then for
each yearly event, the theme picker would simply pick the appropriate theme.

anyways, it would be nice to define cultural/national catalogs of significant
dates. then you could just load them into kde-pim and they'd officially be
part of your calandar.

how does that sound ;)

> I am not sure but I /could/ imagine even bigger companies using that
> feature to add historical pictures of the company founders first meeting...
> to a certain date or something like that.

or retirement themes or "you're fired" themes :)

> So the primarily 'fun' feature could be used for a variety of purposes.

absolutely...

andrew sutton
ansutton@sep.com