List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT portability question for *BSD systems
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2001-12-12 17:52:43

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 15:20, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> Greetings
> 	I am doing a KDE application that uses the serial port.  My question is to
> all of those NON-linux developers will this code work:

[ snip code ]

> I do not know anything about development on BSD systems, so I am not sure
> if this is a portable way to setup the serial port.  I know these systems
> are similar on an API level at times, so I was wondering if I would be
> lucky and this would be one of those times.

If you use a serial port in any other way than just sniffing on it make sure
you create a lock file for it before opening it. Otherwise you'll get in
trouble with mgetty, pppd, kppp, uucp,...

Uwe

--
"And try to look a little more user friendly and less like an argument for
genetic engineering." - Philip Kerr