List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: BiDi RTL/LTR
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-05 14:01:20

Hi Hetz,

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 13:50, Hetz Ben-Hamo wrote:
> Hi Lars, people...
>
> I finally sat down and checked deeply the Windows behavior when pressing
> CTRL RIGHT-SHIFT that causes the text to appear right-to-left (not "push"
> mode). I have checked it with Windows Hebrew and Windows Arabic editions
> (heh, those MSDN cd's could be useful sometimes)..
>
> As it now with QT 3.0 (qt-copy from cvs), pressing CTRL RIGHT SHIFT when I
> enable hebrew/english (or arabic/english) keyboard mapping - the same line
> that the cursor at it - will take this line only and justify it to the
> right, and that behavior is wrong. It should take the WHOLE text and
> justify it to the right side.

Actually it does not do right justification, it changes the main
directionality of the paragraph from LTR to RTL. So a string as "english
ARABIC" (logically ordered) would appear as
LTR: "english CIBARA" OR
RTL: "CIBARA english"

So what Qt currently does is change the directionality of one _paragraph_. If
you have single line text, it'll probably only change that one line, but
that's more a mistake in the way the text is read into the editor.

Lars