List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New file dialog
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-12-04 12:59:23

Hi!

Manuel Amador wrote:
> Actually, it\'s the simplest thing I\'ve ever read on this mailing list.  I\'m
> beginning to phear that the mailing list admin will kill the thread...

Too sad such things aren't discussed on kde-look... But developers (and
others) like to talk in known environments it seems... ;)

> KDE needs a \'place\' that allows its users to store their files (fact)
> The \'place\\\'s\' name needs to convey what users will find there and from the
> point of discovery/learning on, where to put their files
> It has to be a simple name
> It has to be a recognizable name for those new to KDE migrating from other
> interfaces

So: What about integrating the choice of the name in the kpersonalizer?
It could be integrated in a presentation of KDE/UN*Xs concept. Like:

"Each user has his own area for files. We suggest to store all personal
files in an extra folder. What name would you like to have it:"
Then there could be a editable name dropdown with those names suggested
here. The preselection could be dependend on the win/mac/unix style the
user choose at the beginning (having run the kpersonalizer only once
maybe I am mixing up ideas and reality concerning this style selection)

Same would apply for the trash can. "a place to put files which seem to
be of no more use and can be erased soon or later"

> I have one question.  The folder would be automatically created on KDE\'s first
> startup, right?  The name is derived from a i18n() db that takes the right word
> according to systemwide or userspecific language settings? One more: if the
> user changes his preferred language AFTER logging in and the folder already
> existing, does the folder\'s name change?  This is sort of important for non-
> english-speaking customers.

Something interesting. I think it should. Maybe tell the user about.
This could be easily integrated in my concept: if the user selected one
of the prepared names (which would have to be registered internally by
an id) the dir name would switch to the i18n() name. If he filled in an
own name this would be keeped.

Of course this would only work if such directories are accessed by
scripts and programs via variables or function calls.

Friedrich