List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qtopia Developer contest
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-12-04 10:15:53

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:54:49PM -0500, John Gluck wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > While it's true that KDE is built on Qt, this contest does not appear to be
> > about KDE. AFAIK you need to have one of these Sharp PDA things and some kind
> > of devel kit to be able to build and test an app.
>
> Not true. As far as I understood it the development takes place
> using the standard Qt/Embedded 2.3.2 (which is available under the
> GPL) and the Qt virtual framebuffer (which is part of every Qt
> distribution) .

Just to clarify (and I am not opposing the announcement on the list,
heck, I submitted a dot story (in the queue) that includes this
announcement), the SDK is *binary-only* (though of course you have the
option of developing with KDevelop instead), and TT *is* promoting
closed-source development on the Zaurus (which of course makes sense
since they make their bread and butter there).  I am not criticizing it,
just trying to keep the facts straight.

> The final contestants will be given a free Sharp Zaurus
> to do the final port (which is usually nothing more but recompiling
> with a cross compiler) .

Well, in terms of what's at stake for the prize sponsors, this strike me
as pretty lame.  Sharp gets a lot of apps, which helps it compete with
Windows CE/Palm handhelds and, if successfull, will make it tens of
millions if not more; TT sells proprietary licenses at $1,500 a pop; and
the developers that help set this money-making machine in motion get
what -- a prototype for beta testing?  The $10,000 cash sounds more
interesting :-), but I hope they consider upping the ante for Open
Source apps (for commercial ones I don't care, their reward will be
selling what they have).  And you should also note that by submitting
your prize you authorize Sharp to use your likeness, etc. for marketing
-- and, in fact, if they use you in a TV ad, the total amount in value
of all prizes does not equal what they should rightfully pay you just
for the TV ad (never mind the code).

E.g., I would be much more excited if they offered $10,000 for someone
to port KOffice to the Zaurus.  Or similar initiatives.  The
restrictions do not permit people to contribute bazaar-style projects.

And I am not sure I understand why they chose Opera over Konq-e.  Sure,
Opera is better in some ways, but Konqueror is better in others; and why
not spend the money paid to Opera to fund Konqueror JS development (like
letting Harri work on it full-time, if he cares to, or funding others)?
That way the benefits come not only to Zaurus users but all KDE users.

And I am also not sure why TT is pushing a proprietary SDK over
KDevelop.  Is this SDK better?  Why was the energy put into this SDK not
used to make KDevelop better?

> > It appears to be aimed at commercial developers more than us free stuff
> > developers.
>
> I see it just the other way around. Everyone is free to contribute,
> the software for development is free software (GPL) and there are a
> hell of a lot of attractive prices.

Not to knock the prizes, but except for the cash ones, they are all
Sharp promotional items -- so the cost to Sharp could be shipping only
(since e.g. they could likely be overstock or items which for some
insignificant reason do not meet quality control for sale).  Not that
I'm knocking the prizes, but I think what Sharp is giving the community,
and what they are asking for in return, needs to be kept in perspective.

Please don't take this as knocking Sharp.  They are being very smart,
and I am very happy they have gone with Qt/Linux.  OTOH, I don't know
why we should not be smart as well, and explore ways Sharp can
contribute back, particularly if the Zaurus becomes very successful.  A
sort of arrangement between Sharp and the community -- if the community
helps Sharp launch a successful product, Sharp will contribute back to
the community, such as by sponsoring Open Source projects which will
work on the Zaurus and with KDE.  It's important to get this commitment
early, otherwise it won't happen.

An example where such a commitment is lacking is the choice to go with
Opera over Konqueror, or the proprietary SDK over KDevelop.  If the
argument is, "Konqueror/KDevelop is not ready", then the question is,
"What are you doing to help get it ready?"  I know Simon has been
working hard on Konq-E and Ralf has been working hard to support Zaurus
development with KDevelop -- who's paying for their efforts?

> And it's not that you loose your rights with submitting an entry. All
> you do is grating the right to distribute and publish your entry.
> And well, anyone disagreeing with that is likely not to be interested
> in free software anyway ;)

Ciao,

Dre