List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Will the icons be updated for KDE 3?
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-12-04 9:37:11

Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2001 03:03 schrieb Karol Szwed:
> On Tuesday 04 December 2001 07:37, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > >
> > > What's the problem with "big orange E"?
> > > I like it.
> > > Would you prefer to have it *smaller*, or in other color (Blue, Lime,
> > > etc.)?
> >
> > Most of all it is really ugly. I was really proud of the (default)
> > beautyfull KDE when I installed it at my university, but once I had
> > compiled kdenetworks. I really hated the kmail icon as an eyesore,
> > allthough it had never bothered my on my home machine. (it had always
> > just been there)
>
> Theres a more funamental problem with any icons using letters - they make
> little sense in other languages. What does 'E' mean in languages other than
> English? Probably very little.

While this is true almost always , this could be a case where it doesn't hold
true. At least in Germany we call "E-Mail" "E-Mail". So the problem is that one
needs to know the meaning of "Mail" to successfully make the association with
the envelope.
I can imagine that unexperienced people think of e-mail as messages written
on a piece of paper, not necessarily as mails (and therefore envelope). But I
don't have a better idea either.
And then there is the argument that most people might know Outlook and are
likely to understand a similar icon.

Greetings,
Klas