List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Compiling with -Wall
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-29 13:00:45

On Thursday 29 November 2001 13:50, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I found the line 'removed some compiler warnings' in a cvs log
> of my code (thanks for that ;),that pointed me to the -Wall issue. I do
> not compile with -Wall.
>
> It seems that a fresh cvs checkout of kdelibs or kdegraphics does not
> compile with -Wall. Is that true ? What is the reason for that ? How do
> I switch it on on my workbench ? And I wondered why C++ does not tell me
> about the 'defined but not used'-vars ...

Currently warnings are only activated by --enable-debug, with the assumption
that all developers use --enable-debug and users don't (and don't care about warnings).

I pointed this out to coolo (IIRC) some time ago, highlighting the fact that enable-debug
is very diskspace consuming, and the answer was that we could go for a
--enable-warnings.
Being lazy I hacked acinclude.m4.in locally instead ;)

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops