List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Font problem with 2.2.2
From:       Eric Brunet <Eric.Brunet () lps ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2001-11-28 18:03:48

Hello all,

Since I have upgraded from kde 2.1.2 to kde 2.2.2, I have some problems
with fonts in konqueror. I don't make a regular bug report because I have
upgraded at the same time from redhat 7.1 to redhat 7.2, which means that
I am not 100% sure the problem comes from kde.

But it sure looks like it is.

I am using konqueror to browse some utf8 web pages containing polytonic
greek letters. The only fonts installed with those characters is the
-misc-fixed-... fonts serie, so I have configured konqueror to use those
fonts for the 10646 encoding.

With kde 2.1.2, everything was working well, including bold and italic
characters.

With kde 2.2.2, only bold and upshape characters are working. Italic
characters appear as upshape characters.

I have checked my installation, and I am __nearly__ sure that the fonts
installed in XFree-4.0.3 (redhat 7.1) are the same that those in
XFree-4.1.0 (redhat 7.2). But what I noticed is that there are no
-misc-fixed-...-106461-1- italic fonts in the system. What is present,
however, are some -misc-fixed-....-10646-1- __oblique__ fonts (or
slanted, in english, but the character in the font description is o). So
of course, italic is supposed to be different from oblique, but hey, when
italic is not present, one should use oblique fonts and not regular
upshape fonts.

So my theory is that kde 2.1.2 could use oblique font instead of italic
when there was no italic font, but that kde 2.2.2 can't.

Is this theory correct ? Is this a bug ? Is there an easy way to work
around it ?

Thanks all for your work,

	Éric Brunet