List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] New KEdit ready, please review
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-27 21:28:09

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 10:17 am, Mickael Marchand wrote:
> why not, we could do much more thing (KTextEditor), question is where ?
> do we keep old KEdit ? (for compat)
> or simply moving KEdit somewhere else ?
>
> actually, i don't know where we could 'logically' put it,
> there is no really good place for widgets using
> interface,kpart,... in kdelibs. I guess we could have the same problem
> for other widgets later

I would leave KEdit/keditcl as is and create a new directory libktextedit that
implements a edit-widget that dynamically loads the user's preferred
KTextEditor part (that's basically a single factory method) and a KSimpleEdit
that implements a KTextEditor part based on QTextEdit (you could start with a
copy of keditcl for that)

I guess this factory method is simple enough to be added to libkpart. So
libktextedit would only contain KSimpleEdit which builds into something like
libksimpleedit, the default part for this factory method.

(If I recall corrrectly, that's basically what you had in mind in the first
place, but couldn't do because KEdit had to remain source compatible.)

We can then mark KEdit/keditcl as obsolete and schedule it's removal for KDE 4
or whenever Qt decides to drop QMultiLineEdit completely.

Cheers,
Waldo