List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: aRts-OSS 0.1.0
From:       manu manu sauvage <manu42 () free ! fr>
Date:       2001-11-27 0:36:46

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 00:18, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Announcing the release of aRts-OSS 0.1.0. This is a technology preview of
> aRts-OSS, a kernel-level aRts driver. Giving all Linux machines the
> capability of multiple OSS audio applications to play through the aRts
> soundsystem without an LD_PRELOAD emulation layer. This kernel module
> behaves like a normal OSS driver to all applications.
> This does not replace either OSS or arts
> OSS application -> *aRts-OSS* -> artsd -> Sound card (OSS or Alsa)
> Download and more information is available at the site:
> http://www.derkarl.org/artsoss/

Two questions :

- Do you plan to put the code in dual license ? That would be nice in fact.
  Not that the QPL doesn't fit me, but the kernel is GPL'ed, which is not
  compatible with any further (though extremely hypothetic) inclusion in the
  kernel source tree itself.

- Could you give more information about the aim of this inclusion in the
  kernel, the advantages / drawbacks, etc. The reasons you gave here are
  not that useful to me... more, I don't really understand what LD_PRELOAD
  has to do with aRts and soundcard access. Your brief explanation are a bit
  confused, or I'm completely wrong about what you meant. From what I
  understood, I see something like : userland -> kernel -> userland -> kernel,
  and it doesn't make any sense to me...

thanks for any answer.

--
manu manu sauvage

"la vie n'est pas un combat mais une passion à défendre"
(Mass Hysteria)